My Photo
Name:
Location: Denbighshire, United Kingdom

After deciding to resign from the Civil Service after 25 years, I am now free to pursue my dream of writing. My first book '194 Radio City - The Heart of Liverpool' was published through Lulu in April 2006, and is available from good bookshops and internet suppliers. If you have difficulty getting a copy, please contact me.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

It's Arrived!

On Wednesday morning my review book arrived from the States, and I have to say (and I include myself here to some degree) for people who were slightly sceptical about the quality of books published by POD publishers when viewed alongside 'real' publishers, there was really nothing to worry about. It is perfect! Exactly how I wanted it. The print and layout, including the black and white photographs* have come out clearly and professionally and the cover is fabulous. I'm really proud to be able to show it around and say this is mine. And remember, unlike subsidy publishers, Lulu has charged me absolutely nothing for printing my book. The only cost to me has been my cover design fees and the Global Distribution deal, both of which were optional. Pretty good eh?

There were a couple of typos, which I corrected (my fault, not Lulu's), and now version 2 is available - however, this is where I had a dilemma....

Lulu strongly advises that with every new review, before you order a large number of books, you order one copy first so you can check for errors in the printing etc. I thought long and hard about this, and then decided just to go ahead with a large order. The reason being that it was only a couple of typos that I corrected, nothing major. Also, I have to begin marketing this book and getting the press release out etc, before I go away on holiday. I don't want to delay the book's release any longer. So although the book is, in theory, available to buy from Lulu (and you can check it out by going to http://www.lulu.com/content/266943) I wouldn't advise any of you to buy it from there until I have checked that they are OK. And anyway it will be easier (and cheaper) for people to buy direct from me, and I will let everyone know how to do this as soon as I have received my shipment and given them the all clear to be sold.

So fingers crossed everything will be OK this time!


* Perhaps the only minor issue I had with the photos was that Lulu was unable to include them as black and white plates in the centre of the book. Instead they are printed on the normal paper within the text. Initially, I admit I was bothered about this, but I have researched many published books which use photographs in this way, and I no longer have a problem with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home